Skip to main content

Security Blanket

I've learned recently exactly how much people enjoy and expect simplicity and routine.  Or more accurately that I've been reminded of it again.  How people see one thing, and have no idea how to process if it isn't precisely what they expect.

Throughout my life I've always just enjoyed having fantastic people in my life.  People who fall into whatever role they do, even if it is just an important person.  In fact, it seems that the closer I get to a person, the less likely I am to be able to have a title for them.  They leave the category of being a friend, and whether there is a romantic interest or not, they wind up having a place in my life all their own.

See, I rarely actually give a shit about a person, and when I do, they become so much more to me than my friends, and I appreciate them having a spot in my life at all.  I don't look to attach a title, or a role to what they are to me, just because that seems limiting of everything they are to me.

The more I add to an explanation of what you are to me, the more you mean.  It means you can't simply be a friend, or a fuckbuddy, or even sometimes a boyfriend.  It means that I, as someone who loves words and the art they create, cannot describe what you are to me, and the fantastic place you've managed to make in my life.

And this in public confuses people to no end, I have found.

So many out there are just unable to wrap their heads around having a connection with someone, but not having an official relationship with a title and all the things that come with it.  People who are open, or poly, or a myriad of other things, just don't get that I can snuggle, and kiss, and hold hands with someone, having obvious chemistry, and not be dating them.  And then of course they ask how long we've been together, and when I say we're not, I watch their brain break.  As if a person is obligated to have a serious relationship if chemistry exists.

And that's bullshit.  If how two people are makes them happy, then that's how it should be.  If they decide they want to add more "significance" to the relationship they have, then that's wonderful, so long as it is what makes them happy.  They should not however, feel like it needs to happen, or seem like it's forced between them.

I often wind up making a title that will replace someone's name, and that will show to other people how much they mean to me.  My best friend became my kitty, Thrax became my titan, I have my zero, my dru, and my shadow.  If you lose your name with me, it means you've made a serious impact on my life, and it's my way of showing how much I feel for you, without putting a common title on it, that would make other people see a specific relationship.

Everyone in my life has their own space.  If they don't find one, they fall away.  If they do however, it so very rarely is something I can easily explain.  I don't want to limit it to common title, but I want us to have what makes us happy, because that is what's important.

Comments