Skip to main content

Not Looking

I've been reading a lot of articles lately about people looking for the perfect mate.  That they stay single forever because they won't give anyone a chance, even if it means getting a fantastic friendship out of it.  They all seem to reinforce that people need to take the risk to put themselves out there, and try going out with someone to see if something can blossom from it.

There's something about this I don't like though.

It looks like, with how they are all written, to seem as though everyone should be looking for a relationship at all times.

And that, is bullshit.

I know too many people that feel the need to be in a relationship.  That they need someone else to validate their life, and the idea of being single scares them to death.

I know people who cling to the relationships they have, because they don't think they can do better, or could get anyone else, so they settle, and fear being single and having to find anyone else.

Now, I am coming up on a year of being single.  In the beginning because I needed to be, and now, simply because I don't feel the need for a relationship.  I am happy on my own, with the friendships and life I have.

And, online, when people see I am single, I get tons of messages saying I'm lying, that I couldn't possibly be single, because I could have any guy I wanted.
Well, maybe I don't want feel the need for one.

Sure, I'm technically back on the market.  I however, am not scoping out a mate, or looking at people with the intention of being attached.  I'm looking at them simply for who they are, and enjoying whatever chemistry and connection should happen from it.  Maybe at some point there will be someone to work up the nerve to ask me out proper, and if that happens, I'll deal with it however I feel necessary at the time.

For now though, my life is so much more than hunting after a significant other.  I'd much rather experience everything else, and just enjoy whoever hops along to walk next to me.

Comments