Skip to main content

My Own Worst Critic

I noticed yesterday how hard I am on myself when it comes to what I work on.

My father and I have been working on a set of bog chairs for me to use at events.  Two large ones for Lux and I, and one small one for the beast (or me if I don't want to lug all the big chairs).  We've got them cut, sanded, and I just did some work with the dremel to put pretty designs into the wood before painting and staining.
Well, I went to do the lines with a paint pen on the one for Lux, and the paint exploded out, all over the wood, seeping in and staining it.
A freak out later, and my dad was giving me some sandpaper to see if I could sand just the paint off.  It worked a bit, but I could still see it there.  Big blobs of blue, standing out and screaming at me how terrible they looked on something meant to be taken out in public.
Then my father looked at it, and said he couldn't really notice it that much, and once we got a good coat of stain on it, it would look good.
I sent a picture to Lux and he couldn't even tell what I was trying to fix.

Perhaps I was just staring to angrily at those spots I knew were there, and seeing them as more than they were.

When it comes to making things, even moreso things for others, I am a bit of a perfectionist.  I want to put the most detail in, and make it all look absolutely perfect.  I get a lot of random ideas, and want to make them happen, but I don't want anything to look like it's my first try.  I want everything to look like I've been doing it for years.  Luckily, I learn quickly, and am very good with tactile mediums.

However, I see those flaws.  I see what they should be, and what they are, and it makes me hate what I make more often than not. 

Right now though, I'm too busy to waste time worrying about everything.  My family keeps pressing my timetable of shit to do for them, while I still have things to make for me to give to others.  Top that off with the gnome again dicking me around, and the beast to take care of, and I might be able to breathe some time after Christmas.

Comments