Skip to main content

The Thought That Counts

Recently, especially with the beast, I've been realizing how much I enjoy having hand made things.  Whether making them myself, making things for others, or seeing what others create, I love having things made by human hands, with love and energy and history in every fiber and piece.  It makes me think of them, and the skill and talent they have.

And being able to pass those things on, makes it all even better.  To have things, and remember seeing them from years ago when they were someone else's and now they've found their way to you, still able to serve some purpose, and bring joy.

I love to make things.
For myself, or for others.  It's one of the biggest ways that I show affection, and I will run myself ragged making and doing for others, because I want to help them, and do what I can to make their world a better place.

And sometimes it's just a doodle.
Sometimes it's a plushie.
Sometimes clothing.
Sometimes a piece of jewelry that leave my hands in shambles.
And sometimes still, it's fresh warm cookies.

I'd far rather do for others before doing something for myself the vast majority of the time.  I often do without, so that I can give to friends and loved ones, and never even think a thing of it.  I forget to take care of myself, because I'm too busy doing for others.

And sure, I remind myself of the biggest thing that caused me to get rid of the gnome; that I need to take care of myself before I can take care of others.  Then I see what I've made, and how it makes me grow.  I feel fulfilled by creating and making and doing.  I learn from every motion, and every project.

If that isn't a method of caring for myself, I don't know what is.

Comments