Skip to main content

Returning

I am finally home from Pennsic, and hopefully soon will be fully unpacked and back to my normal routine.  The next few posts will likely be a smattering of thoughts on my week long adventure with Lux.

Our adventure started with loading up the car and having a big dinner.  We got to bed at a decent time, but wound up fucking several times throughout the night, which likely wasn't the smartest plan considering our long drive.  We woke up on time anyway, and got moving quickly, moving right along with the timetable we'd hoped for. 

When we got there, I had a lot to process and take in.  Most people claim this is an insane event that will change lives and all such manner of things.  I was a bit surprised in the fact that I didn't feel that, although the event is huge. 

I think part of the reason that it didn't have such impact on me is because of my past.  I've been camping since I was eight, doing faires since I was about ten, and larping since fifteen.  Kitty is a massive part of the burner community, and I frequent many faires and conventions now, so nothing was really foreign for me.

That being said, it is really beautiful to see.  Lots of period pavillions and encampments, as well as people who get very creative and industrious in their environment. 

So, anyway, once we arrived, there were some issues with our tent, and so we didn't get much set up at all.  Camp also decided that while they watched us unload, they would ignore the fact that we might want food, and ate all of dinner, leaving only a few scraps for us.   Lux also had a massive headache because he forgot to take his antihistamine in the way out, so all in all, my initial exposure to Pennsic wasn't the best. 

However, the next day, Lux and I got adventuring, and managed to find a lot of very cool stuff.  We got to finally relax a bit, get settled in, and I attended my first class, which while the teacher was disappointing, the subject matter made it much better.  I got to start helping cook dinners, and we made it out that night.

From there, Lux and I felt more comfortable doing things separately.  We could adventure on our own, knowing we'd be able to come back to camp and snuggle later, or head out together, not worried if we got separated for a while.  Often, Lux was hunting for me if we were at a party and trying to make our way through a crowd, just to be sure we could keep tabs on each other, but not worried about leaving one another alone for periods of time.

We ran into lots of fun people, and caused lots of mischief.  All in all, that means a successful week for me, and a new fun experience that I'm looking forward to writing more on.


Comments

  1. Sounds like a great time! I love the reinactment camping. Hubby would love to one day visit and do Pennsic. He loves the history i love the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you could ever make the long trip, I recommend it at least once. It is a fantastic experience with a very comfortable and relaxed atmosphere, even considering the amount of staff in our camp. So long as you're staying with another camp, the whole situation is much simpler, and you can rent a pavillion like we did, so you just need to throw your stuff in and set up a bed when you get in.

      Delete

Post a Comment