Skip to main content

Boxes

I've posted on here before that I don't believe in looking for people to fill specific roles in my life, but rather seeing simply what spot they make themselves comfy in.  I've described this to people as seeing if there is a box they decide they enjoy climbing into, and then they put a label on whatever relationship we have together.  It's why I frequently give people nicknames, rather than more traditional titles.

Well, Lux came to visit last weekend, and while he was supposed to spend the night, he decided to just stop by for a while because of an issue with his parents.  While explaining to me what was going on, he referred to me as his best friend, which made me simultaneously incredibly proud, and cared for, but also a bit sad.  I always say that Kitty is my best friend because he was for the longest time.  It was the healthiest, most supportive relationship I'd had for such a long period of my life.

And now Lux is such an important person to me, and for a long time now.  He's caring and supportive and aware, and just as positive and healthy for me as Kitty has ever been, if not then more. 

But I've told Kitty that he's my best friend until he's gone, and having two best friends sort of defeats the point of the term best.

So I feel badly, because I don't give Lux the same role in my life that he does for me.  In a way though, he's managed to put himself in a far more important box.  He's my primary partner (even if I don't currently have multiple), who gets to be top priority for me, and the domly person who I belong to, and the only person who has control over me. 

Having these beautiful and healthy relationships in my life is something I'm still getting used to.  And I can't express how grateful I am for both of them.


Comments