Skip to main content

Different worlds

Long ago, shortly after my grandmother passed away, my mother got my dad his obnoxiously huge tv for being patient during all the running around to nursing homes, and doctors, and packing, and legal stuff.  Well, when he picked one out, and it arrived at the house, the picture was nowhere near the quality it should have been. 
We went back to the store, and my dad tried to return it, only to start arguing over return policies and crap.  My mother looks at me, leans over, and says "The boy in charge of the department right now has been checking you out.  You should go flirt with him, and get them to take back the tv."

To which I asked my mom if she was on drugs, and ignored her.  For many reasons.  A significant part of which is because I have no idea how to flirt.  It would also be a seriously dick move to try and manipulate some boy, just to do something for my parents. 

Story ends with someone else walking in, and explaining that the particular cables that come with that model tv were shit, and he just needed some better ones.  Simple fix.  But that's not what this is about.

So, the last couple weeks, my mother has gotten chinese delivery for us for lunch on our particularly busy days.  Both times, the same guy brought our food.  And both times, my mother has had the same reaction. 

"That is a very handsome boy.  You should have answered the door."

I... the fuck?  What would it have done?  Let alone, as I saw the boy walking away both times, I've seen that he is in no way my preferred physical type.  Even if that matters fairly minimally, this boy is super lumpy, which is a total turn off.  He'd probably be Lux's type.

Hey Lux, next time you visit, we should order chinese. And do horrible felonious things.

I also would just look at him like a person.  I'd take my lunch, hand him money, and that'd be it.  He'd be treated no differently than any other person in the world, because I wouldn't see him any differently from any other person.

My mom has this odd idea of how I'm supposed to treat guys, and what I'm like with them.

Through my teens she constantly told me not to be friends with guys, because they only wanted sex.  She also told me that I should have boys do everything for me.

Fast forward to today, and most of my friends are guys, and the vast majority I've never done anything with.  The ones she swore were just trying to get into my pants are some of the closest people in my life.  I do as much as I possibly can, and hate asking anyone for anything. 

The world of interaction my mother lives in is very different from who I have ever been.  And I have to say, I'm so glad I never listened to how she tried to get me to behave.


Comments