Skip to main content

Away

Recently, I saw a game that was more like going for a weird emotional ride.  A game that showed things from back in the day of using AIM, and editting thoughts or backing out of things as you went along.  Of unspoken feelings, and lost opportunities.

And, a year ago, it would have hit me really hard.  The game is about the protagonist, and his best friend, a girl, and their conversations from the end of high school and the subsequent few years following.  He never says how he feels, and sees her leave, winding up with someone who is likely emotionally abusive, and losing that friendship.

And, a year ago, I had thought Kitty was near out of my life permanently.  He was with someone who was jealous, and controlling, and had moved in order to further his life in a way that he couldn't here.  He knew how much I cared, but I thought that I'd lost him from my life.

And at the same time, a year ago Lux had just recently moved, and I was seeing him less often.  We were making a lot of progress to get over both our brainmonkeys, but I was still worried he was going to leave.

But, this year, and upon seeing it, I have them both.  Maybe not with me as often as I'd like, but they're right with me, and they both know how much they mean to me, and I know that I'm important to both of them.  And, with how seldom I wind up developing any feelings toward anyone, it's been rare that I've had an attachment with anyone who didn't have it with me. 

The people who have been the closest in my life are pretty much stuck with me, and while a lot of people don't get that, it means that games like this just don't hit me.


Comments