Skip to main content

Beastie Things

The other day, while making dinner, the beast looked at me and said "[Boy] in my class sits behind me everyday because he liiiiiiiiikes me".  And, no lie, how she said it was fucking adorable.  Part of me is still denying that she's grown up enough to acknowledge the existence of any feels, but it's still cute.  She then proceeded to talk about him a ton, which is blantently pointing to her thinking she likes him, because she generally ignores the idea of male friends. 

My mom pointed out then, that at her age one boy in my class was constantly following me around, and probably liked me too.  I told her I never noticed, even though we were friends, and would play/talk every day during school.  She then said that she didn't think that I realized boys and girls were different until I was about ten.

My response was that I never really viewed boys and girls as different things.  Everyone is a people, and so I just treat them that way, which is why I've never had trouble talking to other genders.  It also helped me realize that I tend to get along better with guys, just due to personality differences.  It's probably my sociopathy more than anything, but it isn't hurting anything, so whatever.

Sure, I'm straight, but that's because I'm attracted to more masculine features and personality traits.  But if you put two people in the same room who I can hold a conversation with, I'll talk to them both exactly the same, until I naturally see which one I mesh with better.

The idea of closing yourself into seeing gender as a limiting or defining characteristic is something lost to me, and I don't ever want to learn it.


Comments