Skip to main content

VD

Generally, I'm not a fan of Valentine's day. 

I find it to be a hokey, false feeling idea that just puts unnecessary pressure, or a superficial mask on relationships.  The expectation or gifts and recognition and gestures and everything creates this competition, and often is the one day a shitty relationship seems to be decent.

I'm also not a fan of grand romantic gestures, as I think they usually feel empty though.  It's the little things people do that make me feel the most loved and cared for.  Just thinking of me is enough to make me happy most of the time.

There's also the obligation to show affection on the same day that everyone else does.  Showing partners you care should be a regular thing, as well as with any loved one.  In fact, those displays of care mean more on a random day when nothing prompts it more than simply thinking of them.

However, as someone who enjoys showing little affectionate gestures constantly, this time of year does lend to it.  I love finding nerdy silly cards to send to everyone, or baking cute things, or simple ideas like that.  It sort of gives me an actual excuse to show that affection, rather than whimsy.

I'm not as against the holiday as I used to, but it still seems too commercial for me.  Oh well.


Comments

  1. I find it commercial, but it still is nice to "celebrate". We don't do extravagant gifts. We usually pick an activity to go do together. Lately with our limited budget it always seems to be having food out that we normally can't afford, or going to the movies. We're cool with this. Spending time together is always the key.

    I just never understood why people get all bent out of shape for it. Depression if alone, comparing different celebrations, keeping up with the Jones' etc. Just have fun. Love comes in many different forms. I used to get my roommate or dad a card or something sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment