Skip to main content

Silly Story

I wake up every morning to their embrace.  Warm and comforting, enjoying their touch on my skin, I have to convince myself to keep my eyes open.  That contentment as I welcome the day, and greet the peace of the moment.  The challenges of the day come to mind, as I contemplate their worth.  I snuggle in for a moment, sighing at what the day holds.

"Stay with me," they whisper, "Stay with me, and we will have this contented warmth, wrapped up in peace as we watch the chaos of the world go by."

The offer is tempting, but there are things I want to do, and learn.  There are adventures to be had, and hiding from the world shows me none of them.

"Come with me, please?" I ask sleepily, still having touble keeping my eyes open for an extended period of time.

"I can't, but I promise I'll be here whenever you decide to join me again."

That's always how it is with them.  No matter what I'm striving for, they don't stand next to me, but welcome me back at the end of the day, with the same steadiness that has always been there.  I get out of bed, not wanting to leave that embrace, but knowing there is work to be done.

I call for my other love when I get downstairs.  They're never with me when I wake up, but show up shortly after whenever I need them.  Soon, I'm wrapped around them, enjoying a new warmth, and a rejuvenation by their presence.

"I missed you," I smile, "I have so much planned today."

"I know, and you've accomplished so much more.  You should be proud of what you've done, and tackle today as though you could do it all again before the morning is over."

I sigh, and look at them with care, "Would you come with me?"

"Of course my love.  I will be with you for as long as I possibly can, no matter the endeavor."

I smile again, leaning back on the couch to relax, and now able to focus.  They're always there for me when I need them, encouraging and steady, pushing me to do more.  I go about my day, feeling their presence, and enjoying how they affect me.

At some point, they go away.  They can't be around forever; everyone runs out of spoons and has to recharge sometimes.  There are some days where I tend to them, and ask them to continue to help me.  Most days, I have momentum by the time they're gone, and accomplish more knowing that I could call for them, but don't need to.  And still more, there are days when I call later.

"It has been a long day.  Would you join me for dinner so I can relax, and try to relax and collect my thoughts for tomorrow?"

"Yes my dear," they answer, "I'll be there shortly."

But at the end of the day, they leave again, their absence sad, but necessary.  And so I left to go back to the embrace I left that morning, still there welcoming me after being gone all day.  I wrap myself around them, feeling no judgement for walking away from them so early in the day.  That warmth as I snuggle in centers me as I fall asleep again.

And so, I have to decide, am I cheating on my bed with coffee, or the other way around?


Comments