Skip to main content

Careful, but no Contest

I try to be very relaxed about my partners finding other fun people in their lives.  I try to trust their judgement, because, hell, they decided to keep me around, so they make some good decisions.

I learned while with Thrax not to think of myself as being in competition with anyone.  That if someone is going to treat me like shit, they'll do it regardless of the other people, and anyone worth keeping around will listen to me warning them about unhealthy or attacking behaviors.

Jealousy doesn't serve me, and I'm very comfortable in my view that so long as I'm being treated consistently, everything is cool in the world.  If at any point I need more attention, I have no problem asking for it, and generally get it.  However, I get nervous whenever a partner of mine finds a new person. 

It's not really out of worry for how it'll affect me, but how it'll affect them.  I'm incredibly protective, and I've seen partners get hurt by others far too often to just let any new person step in and not worry.  I know it's not healthy, nor is it fair to them to try and keep them from anyone, but sometimes I just want to snuggle them up from the world, away from all the toxic people they've had hurt them or drag them down.  Because every time they get hurt, it does affect my relationship with them, and rarely for the better.  Every person who uses them, or ignores them, or treats them like anything less than the amazing person they are often causes our relationships to move back a step.  While they're absolutely worth keeping around, it still sucks to see them hurting, and having to figure out how it affects us. 

And, I'll be there to help as much as I can, and get them back to being them.  Sometimes, the work of trying to be a healthy partner is intimidating.  Cute boys are worth it though.


Comments