Skip to main content

Birthday

I'm sitting in homeroom.  It's early in the morning, and I'm digging out my drawing stuff from my backpack while sitting on my desk, getting ready to draw through geometry class and the review for the final.  As I shuffle through, I'm talking to my friend Nano.  Talking about my going to the larp that month.

He tells me that if I see a person playing a character named "Kage", to challenge him and kick his ass.  That he had beaten Nano, and I had to get back at him.  I laugh, and agree rather sarcastically.  Out of our little group, I'm probably the best fighter, but I don't really care about getting back at anyone, and it isn't something my character would do.


I'm sitting on a picnic table, late at night, with only the light on the porch of a building to go by.  There with me are two guys, one who is a couple years older than me, and wound up being a total skeezball, and one older than that, who found himself very pretty, and later admitted to being interested, but was harmless.  We're making small talk, and I'm chiming in and building some sort of whatever in the hours when almost everyone is asleep.

Someone else walks up.  He's tall.  Really tall.  He starts BSing with us, and the game talk turns into just fun random conversation.  Then it turns into dead baby jokes.  Then we get back to game talk, and around again.  Eventually while telling a story, he mentions someone addressing him, and states his name as "Kage".

Well shit.  This guy that I've been laughing with well into the early hours is who Nano wants me to fight.  Oh well, he can be disappointed.  We continue talking.  At one point he stops, and flat out says I'm pretty bad ass.  Because I'm a kid, and am even more oblivious than I am now, I look over it completely.  We may have talked a little more that weekend, but I don't really remember it.

I don't remember because it was twelve years ago this month.  Twelve long years, of support, and strength, and trust, and affection, and panic, and everything in between.  Twelve years ago that I met Kitty, and never once in that night did I think that he'd become one of the best people to ever have in my life, or that over a decade later, he'd be someone I'd still have such strong feelings for.

Today is his birthday, and he's now 34, the old man.  He's off at Fusion, so I can't spend the time with him, which I would have loved to do.  Next week he leaves for Florida, and then I have no idea when I'll see him.  We're trying to talk more though, and have better contact and time.  We started living only an hour apart from each other, and have lasted a long time with him being all over the country.  This move isn't going to stop us at this point.

Comments