Skip to main content

With Great Power

I've had to speak about my pain tolerance to people a lot lately.  Either explaining it to people, or others discovering it, and talking about all the little ins and outs of being able to take a beating like I can.

When I first tell people how high my pain tolerance is, they usually wind up asking first if I have to be careful of permanent damage before my brain tells me something is hurting.  They just think that I go from zero to broken bones.

And, I mean, for some people, the amount that I take and shrug off may honestly be enough to do near permanent damage to others

I do a lot of listening to my body though.  Whether it's pain, or just little changes in my system.  I know when I ovulate, and can usually tell exactly when my period will start well before it does.  I know early on when I'm dehydrated, and what my body needs to run properly.  I pay very close attention to when my body is telling me something is wrong, and when something is just an irritation.  And, for me, that's an incredibly important responsibility.

I have to pay very close attention to what my body tells me when it comes to pain.  I do ride that line between something I can take, and something that will cause damage sometimes, and while that is very important for the top to know where that fun spot is, it's more important for me.  I'm the one feeling it, and can communicate in case adjustments need to be made.  I need to be aware of when pain goes from being fun, to releasing endorphins, to being a potential issue.

And I know that I'm a lot physically tougher than most people.  Not only does it take a lot for me to feel something as pain, but I can take pain a whole lot longer than most people probably could.  So I need to be constantly gauging things while attempting to enjoy what's going on.  It's quite a bit of mental work to be able to bottom when you have this high a pain tolerance.

It's probably why I rarely space.  It takes a while, and I need to trust the person I'm with.  I keep the snarky, bratty part of my brain awake so I can make sure communication is possible, and when I do speak up with an issue, it is obviously something that needs to be addressed.

So, yes, I can take a lot more than most people, but it's a lot more work than just absorbing someone wailing on me.

Comments