Skip to main content

Throwing on Blinders

Recently Fetlife went through and made a ton of words forbidden.  Made groups with vast sources of information invisible, and removed them from searches.  Some of the list includes things that we can pretty much all agree were not things to discuss on the site itself, and happen to be illegal in every sense.

A lot of them though, were my major kinks.  I looked through that list and realized that all that was left of my interests were some very popular surface things, and it gave me a reminder of how many things I enjoy are considered taboo and edgeplay.

And then I think about how often people acknowledge what they do as edgeplay.  That there is such a large chance for error if someone isn't educated or doesn't keep their focus.  To be honest though, that applies to so much of kink.

If Kitty gets complacent with fire, he could give someone serious burns that require hospitalization and skin grafts.  If he gets greedy with hypnosis, he can completely reset someone's mind, which in some cases can remove their ability to give consent.  If he plays with rope and doesn't double check placement on everything, nerve damage can permanently fuck up a limb, or worse.

If other people are hit with the force I enjoy, they could have serious damage done, or be knocked out.  If I grab the wrong knife of mine, I have a sharp edge to someone's throat instead of a round one, and have to hope they don't twitch.  Should I feel too lazy to grab a sterile scalpel blade, I'm risking infection when I cut into someone's body.  If I rush needles, I could kill feeling in part of my bottom's body.  Even verbally, if I touch the wrong button on a mindfuck, that's a serious mind altering trigger that could cause long term damage.

So much of what I do, as well as my partners, and my friends has the potential for very real damage and problems.  What's needed to make sure this doesn't happen is education, and an awareness so as to not become complacent.  Trying to put on blinders to this and covering up the information and resources on any subjects creates a higher chance for error, and I'm not looking forward to seeing what comes of that in the nearby future.

Comments