Skip to main content

Only One Day

Usually, Kitty and I make time for each other on Mondays.  We spend some amount of the evening  talking, and going on tangents, and being silly.  We still have some problems staying connected and communicating with the distance through the rest of the week, but generally this is pretty reliable time together.

The Monday before Valentine's, I got a message from him saying we wouldn't be able to talk, because it was his anniversary with Pyre, and he wanted to go out and celebrate with her.  While I thought to myself that they probably have the worst date for an anniversary ever, I'm never going to stop him from spending time with a partner, or him from celebrating something.

It happened to be a particularly bad day unfortunately, and so he was being a bit more present than usual as we talked about several things, including how Pyre absolutely loved the present I made for Kitty.  That he bought her a chain starter kit and some scales so she could play around with learning some things.

He also said that we needed to pick out a celebratory day.

Yes, out of all my polycule, he's the one with a sense of classic romance.

I told him I had no clue what to pick, but could in theory look up the day we first met as something to use.  He suggested when we reconnected after the breakup with his ex.  I looked up both days, but never decided.

I mentioned that at this point picking a single day to celebrate when we never had one for so long seemed silly.  That we've always just kind of celebrated each other, rather than a specific day, that honestly will only hold any meaning just because we both agreed on a day to celebrate.  He agreed, but said that it was a good thing to be silly about.

Then I may have pointed out that picking a day may seem superfluous to me because I'm not at all the romantic or cutesy type when it comes to a more classic sense. He told me that knowing that, it made it an even more worthwhile goal, just to have me be doing something cutesy like that.

We've just gone so long, over a decade now without ever needing a specific day to recognize each other, but simply being constantly appreciative of the presence we have in the other's life, and that I think is more important.  We don't need a specific day to say "Hey, we made it this many years without killing each other" but rather to simply have those random times when we say "I'm glad I've had you around through so much.

Sometimes, my overly logical mind shows through his more heavily emotional one.

Comments