Skip to main content

Don't Always Work

I've noticed the term "Queer" becoming a catch-all for most people who fall into non-hetero or non-cis folks.  And I know that for a long time it was considered a slur, and this is sort of the phase of taking it back, and giving the term a more positive presence.  It's increasingly common amongst a lot of people I know as a way of explaining orientations, and I just can't get used to it.

I don't remember myself ever using it as an insult in any way, but I did say queer by its literal definition as being strange or abnormal.  It was definitely a part of my long goth phase where I wanted to sound poetic and cool.  Then I just became a goth that didn't give a fuck.

Anyway, even though time has passed, it still takes the same place in my head, and now, that's very conflicting.

You have people claiming to say that there is no normal in terms of sexuality and gender, and heteronormativity is something to be fought against so they can be acknowledged as the same as anyone else.  Under the same breath though, they describe themselves as abnormal because they aren't under the heteronormative umbrella.  It's more than a little hypocritical, and I don't know how many people catch that.

I'm wondering if the movement is just something to feel like they belong to something, after actually feeling queer for long due to the idea of normality being pushed on them.  Now that we are fighting for this visibility and equality amongst people though, the word loses a lot of meaning when it's increasingly more common to be in a room with a person who isn't either heterosexual or cis-gendered.

I feel like it's a case where if you're fighting for one, it removes any progress by trying for both.

Comments