Skip to main content

Happy New Year

We're celebrating Rosh Hashanah today here.  I've been herding cats for a couple weeks to be able to put it all together, and have people over for the new year.

Mind you, the actual holiday was a few days ago.  People are more apt to come by on the weekends though.

And, while sending good wishes to many people, I found myself having to explain holidays here to several people.

We've always hosted holidays here.  Until I was grown, I had never had any sort of holiday dinner at someone else's house, and I was used to tons of people filing in throughout the day, not worrying about us not being home, or missing out on food and social activity.  It's why now I only know how to cook for ten at the least, and don't bat an eye at needing to cook ahead or for a crowd.

It also made me think about the holidays I enjoy more now that I'm grown.

There are a lot of holidays that I actively dislike.  The ones that focus on just being with family, or commercial obligation, I find myself hating more and more as I get older.  I feel bitter at the thought of them, and want to avoid them at all costs.

However, smaller holidays, where we tend to invite many people over, or create more opportunity for forming small unique traditions, and focus more on friends and others, make me happy, and I look forward to putting those together.

It's almost like I don't like my family, or societal standard.

People who say I'm difficult to follow just don't listen apparently.  Not surprising.

Anyway, here's to making more fun traditions, and spending time with the people I actually care about.  And today, have some apples with honey to bring in the new year.

Comments