Skip to main content

A Win?

Years ago, I was talking to Squishy about friends of mine, and how they married, and both female.  She questioned it for a second, and when I simply said that people can marry whoever they choose to, and for whatever reason, she accepted it without any question.

I remember her friends coming over, and not believing her when she would say it.  Saying that it couldn't possibly be true, while my daughter just simply agreed that people should be able to love and marry whoever they choose.

Sure, it's a good thing, and speaks volumes for how we often hold the beliefs we are told to have early in life, but that isn't what this is about.

This is about something a lot funnier.

I'm talking with Squishy the other day, and mentioned a friend of mine, and then that turned into her asking if I had a boyfriend, and then asking if I had a secret boyfriend, and then asking if I had a girlfriend.

And upon that, instead of the "No" I gave the other two, I said "Nah, I don't like girls."

The look of confusion I got was fantastic.

To which I had to explain heterosexuality.

My daughter simply expected all people to be attracted to anyone, because I'd told her that it was normal.

She hadn't even considered the idea that someone might only be attracted to one sex or gender.  And then I had to explain that.  Which was actually much harder than explaining bisexuality or other orientations.

Times like this make me feel like I'm raising her right.

Comments