Skip to main content

Disadvantage of Stereotypes

I'm reminded fairly often, but even more this week how my appearance affects how I will exist as a dancer.

I often see pictures of a dancer who started shortly after I began learning.  Her teacher wasn't certified with anyone, and had poor technique.  They had a small vocabulary, and every set they do is repetitive, and sloppily executed.  Over time, her technique has stayed in a way where she tries more to look sexy than show skill, and winds up looking like she's throwing her body around.

She however has long blond hair, and big tits, and looks like a stereotypical american cabaret dancer.

Meanwhile, I work my ass off to keep up strong technique, understanding of moves, and as broad a spectrum of styles and variations as possible.  I know my body will only do what I want it to do, without having the throw other parts of my body to make those moves look bigger.  I dance not to look sexy, but as self expression.

And because I do that, with small tits, a mohawk, and very unconventional music and costuming.  It's meant to have fun, and pour myself on the stage, rather than look like every other dancer and incite boners.

And that, while it gets me remarked upon by other dancers, means the majority of people will look at her as a better dancer just off of her appearance.  People will hire her over me, and she'll get further with less work.

It's one of those reasons to never judge a book by its cover, because damn it, that standard package doesn't make a good dancer.

Comments