Skip to main content

A New Option

Remember how I said the other day that I only really cared about what other people thought about my appearance for a short time in my life?  Well, that is true, and when it comes down to it, I don't really care all of that much, and mostly just focus on making me feel like me.

That however, doesn't mean I don't like the input from close people for outside perspective.

While Lux was visiting, we were out to breakfast, and he mentioned that my makeup one day didn't look as good on my skin as the day before.  I agreed, that the product I used that day matched my ghostliness better, but had a worse finish than some other ones I have.

He felt a bit trapped while talking about it, not wanting to say the wrong thing, and I totally understand that.  It's a bit of an easy way to throw yourself into a hole when on the subject, and much harder to dig out of it.

Then he said something that would have most women screaming.  He said "I honestly don't think you need it, but that's me"

And, I know he has a preference for minimalist makeup, if any.  He would be perfectly happy if I walked out bare-faced all the time.

Knowing that, I took a breath.  He knows I don't wear makeup for him, and in a way braced for impact.  I just responded with "I feel more put together with it."  And I do.  Makeup makes me feel like I'm ready for the day, and looking more finished and like me.

But, the next day I thought about it, and really I only use base makeup to even things out.  Make my dark circles that are purely genetic a little less apparent, provide a little spf, and clean things up.

And with some of the other products I use, I get really close to that, without putting on anything that creates more issues.

So I went out for a day with only my eyes and lips done.  No layers of concealer and foundation.  Just my primer to blur things a little.  And I didn't hate it.

I still think I'm going to use foundation on days where I have performances, or times when I really need a more pristine base, but I think once this primer is gone, I'm going to look for something with a bit more spf, and just use that in my day to day. 

Sometimes, it's about finding something that works for me, rather than following what the standard would be.  Sounds about normal.

Comments