Skip to main content

Smart Kid

Squishy, being a kid, often writes some interesting things on school work.

Things like in kindergarten, where all the other kids wrote "family" or similar around Thanksgiving, Squishy wrote that she is thankful for pumpkin pie.  This was cute, and lighthearted, and something we kind of expected.

They're not all this way though.

So, since she was an infant, Squishy has enjoyed getting her back patted.  Not just light gentle patting though.  Good solid thumps to the shoulderblades.  Genetics! 

Even now, if she hugs me, she will fall asleep if I start thumping on her back.

Last year at Mother's Day, she wrote in a book that she likes "When mommy hits my back".  Needless to say, when she told me she wrote this, I regularly asked if she was questioned about it at school, because to anyone not aware, that looks real wrong.  Luckily, if you haven't guessed, everything was fine.

This year, knowing that she has written this in the past, I was a bit worried about what she would write.  She had a lot of simple answers, some funnier than others, but nothing to the extent of last year.

On one side though, was the prompt of "My mom is good at..." and her response of  "sharing love".  I didn't think much about this, mostly because of the more humorous responses.  I sent a picture to Lux and Kitty though, and when I spoke to Kitty, he said that specific line caught everyone in the house's notice.  That she was a smart kid, and able to pick up on things.

Now, I've spoken to Squishy about a lot of things.  About all different romantic orientations, and gender, and self expression and all that.  However, her being a bit too young for relationships in general, I don't talk about poly at all.  She just knows that I don't have a single titular relationship, and that I show affection with some of my friends.  I've never mentioned the idea of poly, because as of right now, she doesn't need to know.

But still, when he pointed it out, it made me a bit happy.  That she's just open minded to however people decide to be, and knows there isn't a right way to have a relationship.

Goes to show how kids are only as closed minded as we make them.

Comments