Skip to main content

Closed Assumptions

While at Pennsic, one of the people in our camp started on the spiel about brats.  Something about having to keep them from bratting out of wanting something.

And, if it were a smaller circle of people, I would have spoken up, and I still should have, but I kept quiet.

I should have said that if people are bratting in order to get something, you aren't encouraging clear communication, or answering that communication with what they need often enough. 

That sometimes people, including me, have bratty behavior as a sort of affection, or just because it's part of their personality, rather than because they want something.

That if someone is being bratty all the time to where you keep expressing you don't like it, they're not a brat, but an asshole.

I feel like that person just had too old of an image of what bratting is, and promotes too much alongside that, rather than being open to the idea of things being outside the stereotype of brats acting up for attention.

I mean really, we all know that you get attention by bringing a domly person coffee and bacon.

That's what works for me anyway.

Really though, I have no problem flat out telling Lux that I want him to beat me up.  I have no problem saying I want some extra attention, or snuggles, or whatever, because I generally don't ask unless it's a pretty big thing.

My bratty behavior lets him know I'm ok.  It's my way of saying I'm comfortable enough to throw sass where I am, because I know I get quiet when I'm around too many new people, or I'm feeling awkward.  I also try to keep it to a minimum when Lux is having a bad day, or really isn't in a space to deal with it, because I respect his space.

I almost hate saying I'm a brat to any extent because of the stigma around it from people like them.  We are more than the stereotypes of the past.

Comments