Skip to main content

Mind the Gap

I recently went about the process of replacing my IUD, which sported a ton of conversations with parents.

More on the replacement later, because that's a long write up of its own.

A few weeks ago, I scheduled a regular exam.  I had to go to a new office because my previous gyno had left her practice, and I wanted to take care of that before scheduling the replacement.  It also gave me a chance for a round of sti testing, which I hadn't done for a bit.

Upon scheduling it, I was talking to my mom. 

And here we go.

First, was the conversation simply of having another IUD.  I have always.  ALWAYS.  Said that I didn't want kids.  I have been firm on that from my teens.  It has never at any point wavered.  While saying that I had wanted to simply maintain my method of birth control due to the ease of it, she of course had to bring up "Well if you ever change your mind you can have it removed".

To which I mentioned my firm stance on not wanting any more kids, which hasn't changed even the slightest bit.

She brought up Squishy.

And I told her about how the gnome literally cornered and threatened me while I was pregnant.

Rather than being upset over her child being outright abused, she told me that I was just too stupid.

I told her that maybe she should look at what she just said and that situation a little more closely, as we were in the car, and I couldn't unload both barrels on her in that moment.  She got quiet.

Fast forward to the day that I had to go for the exam, and I'm talking to her again that morning after putting Squishy on the school bus.  I tell her how I would have gotten a tubal right after her delivery if I could have, but how doctors are so difficult about it.

She actually pulled the line "Well, you might meet someone who changes your mind"

I very quickly said "So, I can't make a decision because of someone who might not even exist"

And she agreed!

I added "So, a likely imaginary person has more say over my body than I do"

To that she disagreed.

I didn't back down.  I pointed out that that was what her view meant.  That I couldn't have a solid opinion and desire, because of the possibility of someone making it for me.

Again, she got very quiet.

While at my appointment, the person doing my exam was six months older than me.  We joked about a lot of things, which maybe I'll include in my IUD replacement.  However, it should be unsurprising that we both agreed on things regarding personal agency and choice.  We both agreed that the older viewpoints are garbage, and that we can make decisions for ourselves.

We are a generation that demands being seen as a full person, and it's hard for older people to deal with.  In so many ways, this is a perfect example.

Comments