Skip to main content

Unhealthy, Unbalanced, and Unthought of

Recently, a friend of mine got engaged.  He'd talked about it for a long time, and has consistently been set on marrying her.

The thing about it is though, he can never tell me what he likes about her rather than her having some personality traits that he's attracted to.  They have a ton of incompatibilities, on many many levels.  In general, from my interactions with her, I find her insecure, immature, and overly compensating at best.

I've tried several times to point out the severity of these issues, but he is so busy with work constantly that she is the only person he sees outside of that, and has the thickest of rose colored glasses on because of that.

And unfortunately, which I called a week or so before, they asked both Lux and I to be in the wedding.  Wanting to be there for our friend, we both said yes.

I wound up spending a day with them recently, and she said I was going to go with them to pick out the suits, and look at a venue.

Holy hell.

First, looking at the suits, she is fixated on renting, because it gets her a coupon for after.  There is one style of suit, and they have half a bridal party, and all the groomsmen in suits, and all very different body types.  He is fixated on the size of the damned lapels, and I'm trying to figure out how to explain mens fashion to them at all.  In the end, I'm not happy with it, but I will try to get away with something that looks close, but will actually fit me by the wedding if it happens.

The first venue was a bust, and I saw how bad she is at budgeting and math.  We had a second venue thrown at us right afterward, and we went to visit.  That venue was beautiful, but everything would have to be found through other vendors as well.

And then she says "Welp, we've now figured out everything"

To which I speak up, because this isn't even the tip of the iceberg.  I mention a hotel, and she says that everyone lives nearby, and they'll just drive home.  I point out that his entire family is flying in from out of the country, and there are far more people travelling than they realize.  Also that having a hotel gives her a place for the bridal party to get ready, which she hadn't figured out previously.  That a hotel will often provide a shuttle, which keeps drunk drivers off the road.

They say that if the wedding is at a winery, they will just get a few of their wines, and be done with it.  I point out that not only will it be difficult to figure out how much wine to buy prior to the wedding, but that is incredibly limiting to anyone there who might want to drink.

The list continues, on so many things.  They kept realizing how much work was to be done, and he kept telling me on the way home how tired he already was of how she has been controlling of him in the planning process.

Let's see how this goes...

Comments