Skip to main content

Life is Strange

So, a while ago I was watching the end of a game.  One of those story style games where you choose what your character says or does, and the actions and story around you are molded by your choices. 

The basic plot is that you are a girl at an art school in her home town.  You decide to go there so you can find your old best friend again, after being apart for a few years.  Another girl has gone missing, and so you're trying to find out about that, and discover that you have the ability to rewind time.

And when you meet your bestie again, and constantly throughout the story, you're saving her from dying.  You do everything you can, and even in the last episode of the game, you spend half the time rewriting the entire story just to save her.

And then the final decision comes.  As you watch a storm destroying your home town, you stand hand in hand with the one person who knows you, and has been there the entire time, and you have to decide whether to go back and let her die where she was in the very beginning of the game, or let the town get destroyed, and keep the person you love most.

The playthrough I watched first sacrificed the town.  So, of course, I had to see the other ending.  Which shows you sitting huddled in a dorm bathroom listening to your best friend getting shot, and not being able to make a sound.  Having to explain to her parents that there was no way to stop it. 

Needless to say, it's one of few things that'll give me feels.

Because dear gods, I would let the world burn before I'd ever let anything happen to the important people in my life.  It may be considered selfish, but I don't care.  There are only so many people I'll ever actually be lucky to have in my life, and I never want to lose them. 

I'm slightly protective, if you haven't guessed.  And while I don't get quite so attached very often, when I do it's with everything I have.  I'm the type that goes into a bloodrage when anyone attacks those I care about, purposefully or otherwise.

I'm very aware of who is worth keeping in my life, and so many people wear masks now, or avoid being close, or treat life like it can be a lie.  The people who show up and are just themselves find a space.  A space where it just feels like they should be, and I would never do anything to remove them from that place.


Comments