Skip to main content

A Weird Club

Lux and I were chatting the other day, and he asked me if I'd seen Berserk.  I actually just watched it recently, so it was all fresh in my head.  Then he asked me if I felt like Griffith was justified.

If you don't know, Griffith is the leader of a mercenary group who starts taking on a lot of royal contracts, and gaining status while holding onto a cursed pendant.  At one point, he is captured, and tortured every day for three years.  He then is rescued by the protagonist Guts, and his second in command, Casca.  Shortly after, he sees the budding romance of the two of them, then triggers the Eclipse with his pendant, sacrificing his entire group to a collective of greater demons, in order to become a demon himself.  To top it off, he then rapes Casca in front of Guts, who is barely alive.

And, then he sort of helps some people after.

Here's the thing.  He's classically pretty in the silver haired bishounen kind of way.  Which means that he honey dicks everyone.

There are literally piles of articles saying he was justified in doing this.

Needless to say, Lux and I are not in that party.

And, this is where it's gonna trigger every Tumblr feminist ever.

It's mostly women who write these articles, and say that he did nothing wrong.  And those women, are why there are so many predators in geek culture.  Yes, I will victim blame them when they wind up with the wrong person, and no, they get no sympathy from me.  These women romanticise and play pity party to characters just because they look lithe and pretty in a special anime way that honestly is normally saved for villains.  They watch him rape a major female character in front of her lover, the protagonist of the story, who previously considered this person his best friend, then say he did nothing wrong.  I'm sorry, but they're going to wind up in a shitty situation, because they think demonic rapists and perfectly fine and heroic characters.

And sure, there are people who will fetishize that and get off to it.  There's a ton of kinks that scene feeds.  There's a major difference in an aspect of a scene being hot, and excusing that behavior in a character and a person.

Lux and I agree he needs a pineapple tree shoved up his ass.  Not just a pineapple, the whole plant.

And the more people who feel that way, the less welcome predators will feel.

Comments