Skip to main content

Predatory Nerding

There's a new game coming out in a week or so.  One I had heard about, and initially, I had actually sent over to Lux because it sounded funny.  It's a game about trying to pick up women, and I thought it would be a full comedy type thing similar to the old Leisure Suit Larry games which I have loved for far longer than would probably be appropriate.

However, then I found out the creator is making this as a serious advice tool, and has written books, and teaches workshops on pick up artistry.

As a side note, because my view on this is probably obvious, I tweeted about how this will likely have a poor effect on gamer culture as a whole, and push away female gamers and nerds even more than they already are.  The creator of the game liked my tweet.  Pretty sure he's too dumb to realize what his game is going to do.

Back on topic, I saw footage of the first four levels of the game.  And rather than finding it funny, I just found it more and more infuriating.  It tries to have outlandish wrong answers, that are probably meant for joking fantasy fodder, but every single one has been tried on me, and I'm sure assholes will be likely to try it again, wanting to take the commentary as a challenge.

To top it off, the creator of the game gives reasons why things should or shouldn't work.  In the first two levels, he tells you to confront women in a way that doesn't let them get away, not to let them speak, so that they can't say no, and to corner them in conversation and take away their independence. 

Congrats, you're encouraging abusive and predatory behaviors.  Because that isn't already a problem in geek cultures.

I wanted this to be dumb and silly and for Lux and I to play it and laugh at it, but instead it makes me want to punch things in not fun ways.

Comments