Skip to main content

Places on a Scale

I had a question put in my mind the other day, that I realized is something I hadn't had to put much thought into before.

As someone Agender, am I trans?

A lot of people put nonbinary genders into the same category as trans.  That anything that isn't cisgender falls under that umbrella.  The idea that trans just means not matching your identity given at birth.

I'm not sure if I like that though.  It doesn't give transgender people a real identity, but simply says they can fall anywhere on this scale.  And for people who are very solidly on one end of that scale, it does them a disservice.

So I look at that scale, from masculine to feminine, with male and female underneath, to show how you may match that birth assignment.

I'm ok with saying I'm female, and female bodied.  I don't feel like that defines me, though it does affect me.  Many people treat tiny females with a specific expectation, and that's just their first impression of anyone.  Just like they'll see Lux and try to have an idea of who he is, however wrong or right that might be.  We judge, as a species, and while that sometimes sucks, it is simply something that happens.

I'm not so far on that scale to feel like I need to be male though.  And I feel like when you really have that need, you hit the point of trans.  That full dysphoria with any aspect of the identity you were born with (regardless of whether or not you go through surgeries).  I'm definitely nowhere near the feminine side either.  Lux often comments about how I am a guy with ladyparts, and while that generalizes a lot in many bad ways, I know where he's coming from.  And for the most part, he's right.  I feel like I'm just close enough to the center of that scale that Agender fits for me, but leaning much more toward masculine.  From what I understand of those who do associate that way, genderqueer is still sitting closer to your birth assignment, but just far enough to under the full nonbinary umbrella.

And I know, a lot of people may not agree with this theory, but it gives everyone their space and validation rather than these broad terms that may keep people from being able to find something that fits them.

Comments