Skip to main content

Net Possession

While perusing facebook, I often see little relationship pictures show up on my feed.  Cute thoughts about what makes someone feel at peace in a relationship, or what they want in a mate.  A lot of the time I'm fine with these, and even find a good number of the cute, or able to relate to them.

In the past week though, I've been bombarded with a myriad of these that absolutely make me flail with rage.

Lists of things girls want in a mate, and claiming that a good partner shouldn't look at pictures of their preferred gender, like anything they post, or talking to them in any form.

I just... the fuck?

And people I know post this shit.  It's controlling, over-possessive, and just ridiculous.  As if anyone should call off contact with half the world just to be involved with one person, is insanity.

Personally, most of my friends are male.  For someone to tell me that I can't talk to them, or look at the pictures they post, or show appreciation of their life, just shows insecurity on the other person's part.

I am unsure when social media became such a controlling factor in so many of our lives.  To give rules to someone else, or feel that someone's actions on a website could change the way we feel about them is something I find absolutely incredible.

Can we just learn to trust the person we're with, and understand and enjoy that they have a fantastic life they've decided to share with us, and we are not in control over?  We are all living a complex life that blossoms, grows and evolves.  We shouldn't do anything to stunt that in our lives, or someone else's.

Comments