Skip to main content

Seeing Accurately

Lately, I've been paying attention to what helps quiet my mind when it comes to body image. 

It's probably no surprise, but my mental state has a lot to do with it.  When I'm only around my parents, who constantly treat me like garbage, I feel horrible.  I want to curl up in a ball, and I want no one to look at me.  Simply to hide under the blankets, and sleep forever, and not have to deal with any of it.

And then I stop feeling drive to work out, and notice those changes as well.  I lose that clarity of mind, or that boost of energy, or getting to see what my body can do.

It's terrible.  I hate the feeling, and yet I've dealt with it most of my life. 

But, when I remember to work out as often as I can, my posture improves, and I see what I'm physically capable of.  I see my strength, and flexibility, and get that feeling like jell-o afterward.  It makes me see all of that in the mirror, and while I notice all the physical imperfections I have, they seem quieter.  I see myself closer to how the world likely does, instead of the horrible interpretation hiding in my brain.

When I'm away, or with those I care about, it helps as well.  And when I eat properly it helps, as well as what I wear, or making sure I put myself together properly.

When I create a positive environment for myself, I see the beauty in life and in myself.  However, given the amount of toxic and emotionally abusive shit in my life, it's hard to stay there.


Comments