Skip to main content

Maybe Soon Stuff?

When I was in elementary school, I wound up helping the class more often than I was just a student.  I learned concepts more quickly than my teachers could get through the material for the rest of the class to keep up, and so I would help catch the other students up, and give the teachers a hand, as their way of giving me extra work to do.  Some of the kids developed animosity toward me for obvious reasons, but a lot of the kids liked having me basically teach them mini-classes, and getting to talk while explaining things in ways the books didn't, which made it easier for them to understand.

In High School, if you'd asked me what I wanted to do, if it wasn't some special effects makeup and animatronics, I would say teaching senior english.  I liked the idea of being able to talk about serious topics, and having mature conversations about what was going on, with complex thoughts and ideas in books.  While covering the books I needed to, I wanted to inspire ideas in other people, and teach them not to just look at words, but think about everything.

If you can't tell yet, I've always enjoyed teaching, and always had a knack for it.  Even with dance, I'm constantly tweaking my teaching techniques, and try to be very thorough and safe, and love getting to see people learn things correctly, rather than from the plethora of people who teach dance in an obscure way that isn't safe, or doesn't even explain moves completely, but rather just throws things at people.

I try not to teach anything I'm not completely comfortable with though.  Which is something I was talking to a friend about the other day.  He teaches all over the country, and every once in a while we talk about the things we enjoy about teaching, and how there is always something to be learned, especially by seeing other teachers.  We talked about how too many teachers don't try to be thorough or even clear in their material, and they are unfortunately of the majority.

And, I've been thinking lately about teaching more in the kink scene.  Teaching dance, but also some basic safety when it comes to pain management and power exchange.  Classes on self identity, building dynamics, and where lines are between power exchange and abuse.  I think that right now there are so many classes on consent and negotiation and pick up play, that we don't have enough being taught about what comes next.

Maybe it's time to start writing down notes.

Comments