Skip to main content

Selective Trust

 I have a weekly call with Pyre.  Some weeks obviously it doesn't work, but we try to get in a video date every week to catch up and still have some easily digestible social time.  And while we were on a call two weeks ago, we were talking about camp.  That it was supposed to happen late summer, and that we were both rather decidedly not feeling ok with going this year.

The call continued, and at a certain point someone in a group chat we're both in shared a screenshot of an announcement for camp in a few months.  And as I checked Fet and saw so many people responding and saying they were attending, I just felt very firmly like I didn't want to be there yet.

I mentioned it to Lux, and he told me that he was conflicted.  That he wanted to trust the CDC, but also didn't feel safe.

And I don't blame him.

I think it's very normal right now to not feel safe with such a large gathering of people as camp.  Something with hundreds of people, all performing various activities that involve some level of contact, and not knowing what their safety practices are, or have been over the last year is unnerving at the best of times.  Top that off with the fact that we all need to learn how to be around small groups again, which will be hard, and emotionally taxing for a while, things like camp may not be the best idea.

There's also that worry of how others will behave when able to do things and play again, which makes me incredibly anxious.  I am concerned that this first event will have a rise in poor results in scenes, bad practices, and people overextending themselves.

Right now, I'm looking forward to just see the people I've been waiting over a year to hug again.  Let me get through that first.

Comments