Skip to main content

Entirely Off the Rails

While in Israel, I was talking to my mother, and she mentioned an old friend was cleaning her pond, and wound up shattering her ankle.  She would need some heavy surgery, and my parents intended to go out there for a couple of days to help give a hand as she recovered.  I told her we would look at dates once I got home, but I planned to be gone for most of the weekend after I returned, because it was Rabbit's birthday.  She asked for then twentieth time when his birthday was, and I reminded her, with the same landmark of being the day after my grandmother.

A few days later and I'm back in the states.  We have a day or so to recover from jet lag, but rather than just some relaxing sleep and getting through a mountain of laundry, Rabbit was in the middle of moving rooms around, due to some roommate issues, and other friends moving in.  We got a call during our trip that had Rabbit dreading conversations that needed to happen, and were keeping him from sleeping.  He had a plan in mind that wasn't the ideal, but would lead to better things down the road.  While we're trying to move things around, I get a message from my mother.  She says that she already made plans to go visit her friend.  The entire time that I told her I planned on being gone.

It's great when people are clearly paying attention to anything.

While we're getting ready to grab food after seeing a friend, I tell him this.  We decide to cancel any time together over his birthday, to ensure I can be home to take care of the dog.

Meanwhile, Rabbit and I had already put aside the first round of plans for his birthday.  That time would be needed to move.  He has one of the hard conversations he needs to, and rather that one roommate completely admitting to everything, he tries to brush Rabbit off, and then to delay the inevitable.  Rabbit won't be as stern as I would, but he is at least no longer letting him get away with ignoring the things he had been asked to do almost a year ago.

The next morning, after roommate had offered to drive me home that weekend, I ask if he'd be willing to do so the next weekend.  If we couldn't have our full time together, I would get at least a night.  I would have time to help him get through getting organized, and if I could pull it off, he'd still get a birthday dinner.  It was last minute, ramshackle, and nowhere near the plans we originally had, but it was something.

And so I got through the week, and he made it to my place, then we both made it to his the next day.  We sorted some things out, cleaned up at his parent's place, and did the things that we absolutely needed to.  His friends came over for dinner, and cake, and he was happy to have everyone there.  The next day I went home, and my father immediately started yelling at me because he didn't listen.  He then tells me a story, and yells at me when I add input, again because he isn't listening.

I wake up the next morning hoping they're already almost set to leave.  Oliver is outside my door, which means someone was up first, and that's a good sign.  As I sip my coffee, I hear my father saying that he has gas, and doesn't know if he is going to go now.  If he doesn't go, neither of them do.  This sets everyone in limbo of not knowing what is happening, because he has some slight discomfort.  My mom almost had to call her friend, who just had reconstructive surgery, to say she wouldn't be there to help because her husband has an upset tummy.  I'm entirely too anxious because I need them gone at this point.  My mother is infuriated at his selfishness, but at the same time is dreading dealing with my father now.

Only two hours later than planned, they did finally go.  I have quiet time to go through everything, and I will get to spend Rabbit's birthday with him almost entirely just the two of us because Squishy will be on a long school trip.

It's a good thing I have last minute problem solving skills, and am used to being tossed around like a rag doll, but it would be nice not to have to do this for a change.

Comments