Skip to main content

Clouded

Lux and I were talking the other morning, and he said that outside his apartment he could hear a couple fighting.  After a bit, and hearing it get continually louder, he went outside to break things up.

And while there were some things about it I don't need to go into here, one of the worst things was that the person causing the issue of course tried to use Lux's race as an attack.  It was irrelevant to the situation, and of course is simply a characteristic of him, but they felt it necessary to throw it in his face, in order to feel superior, and in malevolence.

When he told me, I was suddenly reminded of how often lately I need to worry about Lux's safety just because of the color of his skin, and how insanely ridiculous that is.  That despite the fact that he is an amazing, strong, and intelligent person, people will see that he is slightly on the darker side, and try to use it against him.

I'm reminded of why we can't say that we don't acknowledge people being of different race.  Because while I may treat everyone with respect and care, I also try to look at a person with understanding that they have all gone through different things, much like how I am often treated differently for the choices I make in my appearance, or a plethora of other things.

No one should be made to feel unsafe because of a physical feature, nor should they feel that way for being around those people.  And anyone who ever feels justified in blanket statements of that nature need to be made to understand what shitty people they are.

Comments