Skip to main content

Putting Them in the Corner

The other day I was puttering about twitter, and hopped on a hashtag to say that people should be treated with respect.  I said this because far too many times the day before, I felt like I wasn't treated with basic human decency, even though I know I deserve it.

Well, someone who apparently thought they could get a feeling of superiority from me tried to tell me that people in general are not deserving of respect.

Mind you, other people in this tag posted about things like having a right to kisses and shit.  He wanted to go on a power trip.

He picked the wrong person.

Continually, he tried to put words in my mouth, hoping I'd get angry and make a mistake.  At one point even said that the fear of jail is what keeps him from violating consent, or simply that he was "raised by women" not simply that he believes violating consent is wrong, y'know, because he respects people.  Only because it's a crime.

Oh yea, this guy had no idea what he was getting into.

He started trying to dismiss me and create a superiority over me by calling me a "wacko" for thinking people deserve respect.  I told him that his idea excused abusive behaviors, and that consent goes into far more than assault.  I had a calm response to everything he tried to say, cutting off any argument he had before he could do anything but scrape for the same tantrums. 

He told me people had to earn respect, but wouldn't get any until then.  Because I totally want to work at whatever someone thinks is worthy of respect if they're going to treat me like shit until then.

I finally put him in a corner he couldn't get out of by saying that with his logic, someone could walk up and be abusive toward him, and it would be perfectly fine, because he hadn't earned any respect.  Either he agreed, and thereby excused abusive behavior, or said no, and then had to admit that people deserve respect.

Everyone.  Every.  Single.  Person.  Is deserving of respect unless they prove otherwise.  Sure, people can earn more respect and trust over time, but everyone should be given basic human decency at first.

And he, is a good example of what proving respect shouldn't be given to looks like.

Comments