Skip to main content

Painful Ignorance

 When I was younger, I remember enjoying being angry all the time.  With how my life at home has always been, I realize more and more that anger was the only thing that I was generally free to feel, because I was being put through so much else.

And as I've gotten older, I didn't want to feel angry all the time.  I wanted to find joy in things, and learn to acknowledge the things I deal with, but find balance, and allow myself happiness where I could find it.  It resulted in me feeling angry far less, and subsequently feeling better about myself in the long run, wanting to take care of myself far more than I had been.

This year however, has brought me more rage than I have felt in so long.  Between the beginning of the year, which I posted about, and how people have been behaving overall, I'm just sitting at a simmer of anger at everything.

While looking at Twitter, I found someone saying that unvaccinated people were being treated like Jews in the holocaust.  While I normally don't get terribly offended by a lot of things, the amount of ignorance in this statement knew no bounds, and I just found myself getting more and more upset about it.

Unvaccinated people are not being hunted and killed for their lineage.  They aren't being forced to hide in attics and basements.  Unvaccinated people aren't being skinned and turned into boots and lamps.  They aren't on the run, completely abandoning their families and past in order to survive.  They aren't being called rats and vermin simply for the holidays they celebrate, and the books they read.

Unvaccinated people are actively putting themselves, and others at risk for a legitimate health concern that is all over the world.  To tell people that if you don't want to get vaccinated, you should stay home is trying to protect them from the virus as much as it is us.  While we have small children who can't get the protection of a vaccine, yet are forced to attend schools, so we need to do what we can to keep them safe.  By refusing a vaccine, those children are actively put more at risk.

By saying that the people who refuse to be vaccinated are treated the same as Jews, is to say that you seem them the same way that the nazis did (and do) during the holocaust.  So maybe, just maybe, there's a few things to teach people here.


Comments