Skip to main content

A Most Silly Throwdown

 After my birthday, I spoke about how doomed I am in regards to Rabbit's parents.  How after bringing babka over, I was told that it there needed to be a break before I could make it again, but that anything I did make needed to have a little bit brought over to their house.

So during my last visit, I brought with me some crumb cake that I had made a while back but was living in the freezer.  I also made challah on one of my first days there, but took my normal recipe and turned it into more smaller loaves.  I figured that this way they would be a little less upset about the amount of anything I brought over.

Well, while making the challah, I mentioned to Rabbit that the dough wasn't quite working the way it normally does, and that I was worried.  The loaves baked up beautifully though, and while I let them sit and cool, I eventually cut the end off of one to test it.  Apparently, whatever I had done, I need to do in the future, because it was my softest challah yet, and I just sent a message to Rabbit saying that I was so much more doomed.  When he got home, he tried a small piece, looked at me, and told me I was fucked because of how good it was.

They loved it all, and we got through Friday dinner the first week, where I got to sit and spend time with his parents a little more.  We all got along, and they were sure to check if I would be there the next week.  I had intended to, as I would still be in town, and as we took the motorcycle home, we laughed about how I'm pretty sure they're adopting me.

So the next week came along, and Rabbit didn't want to share the last loaf of challah.  That meant that with everything else happening, I wouldn't have something to bring over.  We didn't necessarily have a problem with showing up empty handed, but I was curious if they would comment about it.  That didn't happen, but something else did.

Rabbit's mother is constantly trying to say she's on a diet, so she doesn't usually make dessert.  This week, she was sure not only to say that the remaining challah was used as breadcrumbs for dinner, but also that she made dessert to have as well.  She had made a no churn ice cream, which was fairly tasty, something she wouldn't normally do.  While Rabbit's father and he cleaned up and made coffee,  They spoke about something which he brought up to me after.

They're fairly well certain that she is turning this into competition.  That she wants to try and beat me when it comes to food.  They're laughing about it all, because no matter what happens, it means they both get fantastic food out of it.  All in all though, it was another enjoyable dinner, and after saying goodbye, and getting on the bike again, Rabbit looked at me, and told me I was absolutely doomed.  He mentioned that his father hugged me goodbye both weeks, and he doesn't hug anyone.

So, that's it, I think I'm adopted.  And I think I'm in some sort of a battle of Jewish Mothers.  

Comments