Skip to main content

A Very Unexpected Gesture

 Squishy had a week without school where she went to see her step family, so I spent a week with Rabbit.  His parents were just getting back from their home country, so we needed to pick them up from the train station, and see them for the first time in months.  It was good to spend time with them, and it's still amazing how welcoming they are to me.

The week as a whole was enjoyable.  We spent one day going up to New York City, where I brought Rabbit into Chinatown for the first time.  We got some super cheap dumplings, and pastries, wandered around tiny shops, and watched lots of musicians.  After that we went into Brooklyn and he got to meet Dansa for the first time.  They got along well, and it was fun overall.  I'm always happy getting to introduce friends to each other.

The only real thing that I can complain about, which is often something I've found happens with Rabbit, is his time management.  He's not late for things, but he sort of falls into holes of time, and loses track easily.  It meant that many days where we had wanted to play or do things, he got side tracked with other projects and things going on.  And while that's entirely ok, because life happens, and nothing will ever go exactly as planned, by the end of the week he was feeling guilty.  We had curled up Sunday night, and he was telling me how he regretted how the week went, and while I assured him that it was ok, and we're both learning to balance, he was still upset.

So he did a thing.

He woke up Monday morning, and went to work at the latest possible time, sad to leave bed because he wanted to stay curled up.  I went back to sleep, as I woke up especially groggy, and got about an hour more rest.  I woke up, and had some coffee, then as I was sorting out the day, and pulling out clothes to get ready to shower, I heard a car lock.  My suitcase was right next to the window, so I looked out and saw Rabbit's truck, and him walking up to the front door.

When he walked in, and went up the stairs, I was about to ask what happened, and he pushed me back into the bedroom.  I told him I wasn't complaining, but was incredibly confused.  He was just trying to get me to agree with everything, until I pushed to know what was happening, and he told me that the week didn't sit right with him, that because we were both in this to be good, and do things right, he needed to fix the situation so that he felt ok with it, and had left work early.  Said he made plans to make up the hours on one of his other days off.

So I pinned him down on the bed, because that was a good enough answer for me.

And while we were having sex, the weight of the gesture sank in.  That he wanted to make sure we had a block of quality time for just us before I had to go home.  That plans wouldn't go awry, and we could just share space.  I thought about how different that was from anyone in the past, and how I would toss things aside, or manage my time so that I could focus on someone while they were with me, and finally I had someone trying to do the same.

I got teary eyed, which has never happened during sex.  It was difficult to keep myself in the moment, because I was a little whelmed with how much the gesture meant.  

We both may have come from shitty past relationships, but when we're both coming into this one learning from those, it might be tough, but we're putting in everything we have to make this one the best yet for us both.

Comments