Skip to main content

A Promise of Tears

 Rabbit and I might be bad at holidays.

We both got each other gifts, and I had every intention of giving him something to open for every night of Channukah.  I also initially wanted to give him something from the mix of handmade things and purchased presents for Yule and Christmas as well, as they fell inside the dates.

He wrote me a poem a while ago, and gave it to me early in the fall, unable to wait.  That kicked off my wanting to write him something in return, having had his to work off of.  I had the time, and the drive to make something with a consistent rhyming pattern, and multiple verses.  I also made him a knotwork bracelet, some warm things, oh, and a collar.  I had picked him up things he said he wanted, or that popped up as being absolutely perfect for him.

And as things showed up, and I got his stuff wrapped, I promised him that he would cry from the gifts.  We also kept going off about how we wanted to just exchange gifts, and not have to wait so that we could share the happy.  I randomly got a free weekend, and had offered to help with getting one of the pups bathed, but his back has been bad, and it wasn't happening.  While there though, one of the gifts Rabbit had gotten me showed up, and while he was checking it, he said that he really wanted to just be able to give it to me.

So we decided not to wait for holidays, and he gave me my gifts, or at least the ones that arrived.  They were all adorable, and very sweet, and it made me feel impatient to share when we got back to my place.

And when we did, and I pulled out the giant box of gifts, he kept remarking about how I was doing too much.  I think overkill is just enough thank you.

The first thing he pulled out was the collar, which he immediately wanted me to put on him, and played with, and was overjoyed.  He got to a couple of small gifts, which he loved, then found my poem, and after reading it, tackled me in a hug, and just kept saying that he wasn't going to cry.  Then he kept saying that I was crying, and not him, and then kept blaming his teary eyes on allergies.

He got through the rest of them, and every time he looked at things, including the next morning, he would tear up.  Apparently I did good.

So now we have nothing to exchange on the holidays, but we'll still get to see each other.  Oh well, I'm alright with being bad at holidays together.

Comments