Skip to main content

Lagging Behind for Safety

 This is the last post of 2022, and should be something about the holidays.  Or it should be some manner of reflection about the previous year, and the amount of change I've gone through, and how life looks incredibly different compared to how it did.  Instead though, we had one extra event that occurred that I need to write about, both to reflect, and to remember, that I wasn't expecting.

Two weeks ago, my mother's friend came over.  They were supposed to go to a tea house, and pick up some last gifts, while I got things done around the house.  With holidays approaching, my days were carefully divvied out with everything that needed to be done.  In fact, I had already baked up some fresh pita before she arrived, because Rabbit's father asked me to make some for my next visit.

Well, as she was trying it, she got a message from her mom, saying that she was positive for covid.  We pulled out a test for her, and she was negative, but went home.  Because she was only at the house for a half hour, we went on about as normal, and felt safe doing so. 

Two days later, as we got even closer to the holidays, my mother got a message.  Her friend finally tested positive for covid, which meant that she may have been infectious while here.  Because I was barely around her, and Squishy wasn't at all, I spoke to Rabbit, and made a call for everyone's safety.  I got things packed up, and we hauled over to his place for a few days, just in case my parents caught anything.

And so Squishy got to go to Rabbit's for the first time.  She met the dogs, and his parents, and loved it.  We set her up with a little space, and she was able to do school work.  She ate far better than she does at her father's, and I made sure everything got done.  We brought her to a Friday dinner, and she both got to listen to a Kiddush for the first time (which is amusing in their home), but also had falafel, which she loved.

My parents weren't happy that I made the call, but they also downplayed Sandy, when I made sure I had somewhere to keep Squishy that had heat and warm water.  It solidified how little I cared about their opinion, and instead was just concerned about the safety of my kid.  And seeing how happy she was every day, and how we managed to still get through everything we needed to, made me sure that I made the right decision. 

And I was grateful to Rabbit to have that option.  That he without a second thought moved his time around so that we could go somewhere safe.  He acted like it was something I shouldn't even consider as optional, but it was.  It was more than I would have expected from someone in years, and he doesn't even know how much that means.

Sure, it meant that I was behind on all the holidays, and it kept me from being able to think about the coming year, but it was one last important lesson, and one that spoke volumes.

Comments