Skip to main content

Price of Admission

 Health issues are nothing new to me.  Almost everyone closest to me has a myriad of mental and physical maladies, which I have learned the workings of, and have gotten used to.  They come with rules, and everyone has learned to manage them as well as possible.

And now I have a Rabbit, who also comes with his own collection.  His biological parents weren't the best during pregnancy, which has caused him to grow up with a lot of interesting things.  He has an assortment of allergies which are nice in some ways, and difficult in others, a pile of digestion issues which have a lot of rules, and some other medical things that make him feel mentally uncomfortable.

It's lead to him always checking with me.  Asking if I actually love him so much that I don't want to run away.  Having him feel anxious or shameful, because of things that are just the way his body works.

And then I read something that clicked.  It talked about the price of admission to have a person in your life.  If you want everything that someone has to offer, you have to accept all of the flaws and issues as well.

Which means that if I want someone like him, who is kind, creative, ambitious, caring, affectionate, and all the other wonderful things he brings, it means being aware of what he eats and the food I make.  It means being careful of where we go at times.  It means being aware that some days will be a little awkward.

To me, that's all worth it.  There isn't a single day that I wouldn't be entirely ok with working alongside his myriad of complications.  At the end of it all, there's someone who puts more genuine work into our relationship than any partner I've had.  Someone who appreciates every gesture, even when it's my purposefully not doing something, because I can explain the reason.  I get someone who encourages me to be better, so that I can be better for him.  

I think that's something I need to bring into all the friendships and relationships I have going forward.  What am I paying to get this person in my life.  Is that person worth the cost.  Am I getting deal out of my price of admission.

Comments