Skip to main content

Tying up the Year

 Ok, now that the holidays are almost done here (with the exception of the pile of birthdays), I can share about the last couple of weeks of the year.

I mentioned before the new year that we had an emergency trip to keep Squishy safe.  That meant getting home just before Channukah, and where we would have had a few days to prep, I instead had one.  Luckily, I had done most of the prep well beforehand, and with my mom paring down the holidays so much, it was fairly easy.  It wound up not being too bad, and was good to actually share another holiday with Rabbit, because I'm still getting used to sharing holidays with a partner.

There was only some frustration with Squishy not understanding that you prioritize holidays over extra curriculars, and my mom trying to claim that she did everything for the holiday, where realistically, she made two things.  I let Squishy open some presents each night, and she was happy with all of them, and surprised by a few.  Far better than last year where she would throw a grump if she didn't open the exact thing she wanted.

She left on the Friday before Christmas, and so the house was quiet.  Rather than relaxing, I found that time useful to try and scramble to get editing and videos done, since a pile of things had kept me from being able to record and edit on time.  I did however, get it finished on Christmas eve, which let me relax on many levels.  Likewise, on Christmas eve I got everything prepped, and after dinner with my parents, headed over to Rabbit's place, so we could spend the week together.

And, given that I spent Christmas with someone who grew up in an only Jewish household, that was incredibly quiet.  A friend of his showed up to make dinner, and later in the evening another friend joined.  It wound up going later than intended, but overall, it was a good way to spend the day.  Monday became a day of reset while Rabbit was at work, and then he had most of the week free.  Some of Rabbit's health issues were unfortunately creeping up, which kept us from taking advantage as much as we had wanted to, but we got a lot of things done to help him get caught up on things.

Rabbit's housemate asked if we were doing something for New years, and so we decided to invite some people over.  It got funny when we went to pick up food for it, because Rabbit decided to pick up just up a ton of kid snacks and staples.  Everyone was happy with it though, and overall, new years was quiet, and peaceful.

Speaking of picking up food for the new year, there was one day where I accidentally broke Rabbit a few times.  There was one morning where we were waking up and planning the day, and before I went to shower, I told him to play guitar.  He hadn't played in a few days, and it always helps him, not to mention that I just enjoy hearing him play.  As he was playing, he had to force himself to sing, because his ex was constantly telling him not to play music.  A little later, he mentioned still wanting to learn the pirates theme, and I said that he wanted to learn it on accordion first.  Since it has to stay at his parents' house (for silly reasons) I added that it either meant an extra trip this week, or going to dinner early.  Given that his ex also avoided his parents, this was a surprise, and also took him aback.  The one that I was reminded of however, was while out to get new year snacks, I offered to pay, where Rabbit was always the one paying for everything.  While in public, he got hit by things again.

It was the same day that I got messages from my mom and Squishy that I found when I got out of the shower, saying that the gnome got covid.  While my child was with him.  After all of the stress involved with that, it wound up not delaying anything, but was definitely not a useful thing.

Overall, the end of the year was a mix of ups and downs.  It looked remarkably different from the past many years, and honestly I wouldn't have had it any other way.  If this year is anything like how the last one ended, it means a ton of growth, and a ton of happiness.

Comments