Skip to main content

Never Alone

 The week before Valentine's, I wasn't actually supposed to see Rabbit.  He had some weird days off, which messed with our schedule, and so we would have a full two weeks apart before I spent a weekend with him.  I was looking forward to a productive week, and getting through a ton of things so that I could feel extra caught up before spending time with him.

And by now you know that didn't happen.

Monday morning I tried to call Rabbit to help him wake up.  He didn't pick up at first, so when I tried again a while later, he answered, sounding exhausted.  He told me that one of the dogs was having a health issue, and so he was panicked all night.

After looking some things up, and reassuring him that it wasn't what had happened with his previous dog, I focused on making sure he knew he wasn't alone.  As he got through the day, I tried to be present with him, and provide options, and help with all the steps in the process.  Once he was out of work and had talked to the vet, I told him that he didn't need to worry about the bill being more than he could afford, and also asked if he wanted me there to make sure the dog wasn't alone all day.  

So he spoke to Squishy and my mom about it, so she would be supervised, and then I was scrambling to pack a bag and get ready while he was on his way here.  It was a frantic mess of making sure I had everything I needed, in hopes that I could get things done there as well.  It would be extra money I wasn't expecting to spend, as well as less time to get through a lot of things, but I didn't care.

While on the ride, we spoke about how this was one of those moments where it really sunk in that we're a team.  That we're in it together, and going to do what we can to help each other, without needing to necessarily be in charge of any of it.  

It took a few months, and a couple of hard weeks, but I think we've finally realized that we're in this for real.  That we want to work together.  That we want to be a team.  That we want to lay a path to help the other succeed by their own merits, as well as hold each other and help them stand after the failures.

And dear fuck, I don't know if that's something I've ever felt before.

Comments