Skip to main content

Now I Can't

 A while ago, probably near the end of March, my old man asked me what was up with Rabbit and I and our relationship.  Having just passed being together for six months, I sort of shrugged and said that it's still a relatively new relationship.  He just asked if it was looking like we might live together at some point.  I told him that I still liked him, but not much past that.

I wasn't going to tell him that we had just talked about some day living together.  Likewise, I wasn't going to even remotely mention that I had already been looking at rings to pop the question to Rabbit.

So he started on about how we've been dating for a while, and how he liked him, and then kept saying all the things that reminded Rabbit of himself.

And I won't lie, there was a moment as he said it that my brain tried telling me that because he liked my boyfriend, I couldn't.  That anyone like him was going to be horrible for me, and anyone he likes is clearly not the right option.  As I thought about it though, I realized how different everything was.  He didn't know half the things I did, and if he did, I'm sure he'd hate Rabbit.  Likewise, all the likenesses that he brought up weren't that way at all.  The old man yells and swears and is malicious at the drop of a hat.  He doesn't like anything that isn't familiar, or isn't convenient.  He wants everyone to do for him, and feels like he's entitled to it.

Rabbit may get upset at things, but he stays calm.  He speaks his way through, and manages his emotions, rather than being reactionary and explosive.  He doesn't want people doing everything for him, and likewise wants to know how to do things.  While he doesn't like new technologies, he's not afraid of them, and doesn't mind learning how to use what is at first inconvenient.  He's helpful, team oriented, and listens to me always.  They're nothing alike, with the exception of some hobbies.

So I'll take someone who is nothing like him.  Someone that he would hate if he actually knew more about him.  That's far more in line with how I want to be spending the rest of my life.

Comments