Skip to main content

The Grind

 One of the things that I was concerned about with this last visit to Rabbit's, especially with his still being injured, was getting to be able to get work done.  I'm used to holing up at his place when he has a long work day, but having to get things done with him there hasn't worked the best in the past.  Between wanting to spend time with each other, him not being able to do much without my being present, and things going on in the house that have some spaces less friendly right now, I was incredibly worried about getting things done.

The last visit, when he first wound up out of work resulted in me not getting anything done other than necessary product postings for two weeks.  I couldn't take that time off again, knowing that while I was ahead on some things, I was also quickly catching up to deadlines on others.  It wasn't going to look good if this visit also resulted in my not being able to get things made and done.  So I told him leading up to the visit, that I would need to get work done while here, knowing that he would also be home.

And the first few days didn't trend terribly well for that.  My sleep schedule was immediately off kilter because of his lack of schedule, and because every day was so disorganized, there wasn't much time for me to sit and crack down on things.  A few days in though, I started being able to say that I had to work, and so would be setting up base in the living room to get through various things, and did manage to get through a good amount each day.  He wound up finding himself mostly playing games, but with gentle encouragement, he saw more and more things that he was capable of doing, which was helping his mental space as well.  

I also started setting alarms for myself to help my own sleep schedule get back on track.  This subsequently helped Rabbit form more of a consistent habit, which also had him getting more rest at night, and aided his healing.  It had me feeling more properly rested, and more productive, because I like to get most of what I do finished in the morning, so my afternoons can be spent for whatever else we want to do, or be a little more fluid, knowing that a good chunk of work is out of the way.

Many days, I found myself by the end of the day wanting to spend more time with him, because he had left me alone and we hadn't spent much time together.  It was nice to have that feeling actively within the house, and able to have it responded to in a healthy way.

For everything that causes me some anxiety in this house, there seem to always be things that help me feel more assured about it.

Comments