Skip to main content

A Hard Reminder

Last Tuesday, as Lux went to take a shower before his first meeting, I went to really wake up.  Went to the kitchen, and grabbed some small breakfast.  Refilled my coffee, and grabbed my phone to scroll through bits of social media.

As I scrolled through, I saw a post about a group of friends not having been together in too long.  It was written in a worrying way, so I went to look, and found that the night before they had committed suicide.  One of the people who had first taught me to play D&D, someone in the group that would cause me to meet Kitty, and likely down the line lead my life to where it is, in so many ways.

I took a moment to process that.  Because even though we didn't talk for a while, he was still someone who had had space in my life at one point.

And as I went back to my feed, I immediately saw something saying that it was two years since the loss of another friend.  Someone who had been newer to my life, but was genuinely good.  I had found out about his passing while out to breakfast with Kitty, the last time I got to see him in person.

I started thinking about the week.  This is also within a week of the anniversary of Frankie's suicide.  And a handful more people, all within this same tiny chunk of the calendar.

I sat, trying to process.  Wanting instead to snuggle and hug everyone I cared about.  It took me a while of talking with people to get back to work for the day.  And it's definitely made me more grateful for the people I have in my life now.

Comments