Skip to main content

Cheat Sheet

To continue with what I spoke about on Sunday, I read a handful of other blogs somewhat regularly.  Most of those are food blogs, because I'm a food nerd, and enjoy cooking and baking, and trying new things.

I've found that this time of year, probably because they are also busy and can't be doing every cooking, lots of collection type posts.  Some of these are useful, but something I notice is present in these, and everywhere else for that matter, is gift guides.  These generalized lists of things in categories to get for loved ones.

And every time I see them, I get a bit upset.

These lists are always so generic.  If this person likes these things buy this.  If they do this, buy this.  Very calculated, cold, simple, unfeeling.

I always find a lot of care in picking out gifts for people.  It's a personal thing, whether something I make, or find.  Whatever I had over to someone, told me that it belonged to them.  And sometimes these things are small and simple, and sometimes larger, or more involved.  They still have the same amount of care attached to them though.

Looking at these list, and just attaching a gift to a name without putting that thought in feels like you're just fulfilling obligation, and honestly, if that's the case, maybe we need to reteach, and rebuild the aspect of giving gifts.

Let us give gifts with care.  Small things with grand emotion, chosen with care and creating true connection.

Comments