Skip to main content

A Welcome Minority

Last week I had one last trip to the doctor to make sure my new IUD was settled into the right spot, and hadn't migrated at all.

All the appointments with this office start with a patient interview in an office, to gather any medical information necessary before the procedures involved, this way the actual exam rooms don't stay in use for longer than necessary.

So I have my vitals taken, and we sit in this office, and I start just talking.  Comfortably.  About whatever is needed, and giving details from there.  The nurse, who didn't believe that I was thirty, told me that she was relieved with how comfortable I was with speaking and sharing information.  Nothing was censored, or caused an anxious response.  I was really happy to hear how appreciative she was about it, but didn't really like that it's such a rare thing.

And speaking of rare things, I told the nurse that my old paragard had given me absolutely no issues, and I had kept it until a few months before it's life was completely up.  She told me how long she'd been working in women's health, and that she could count on one hand the number of women who have loved and stuck it out with paragard.  When I told her what most of my reading showed, she agreed with me, that most women who have problems with it are actually going through symptoms of their bodies coming off of hormones, and not necessarily having side effects of the IUD.  She apparently tries to convince most women to try and stick it out, but very few do, laying blame on the wrong thing.

I'm rather happy that I haven't used hormonal birth control on that front, having been able to enjoy a reliable cycle, and now prevent pregnancy without messing with my cycle in the process.

Yet another very small number I belong to, and I'm glad this one works so well for me.

Comments