Skip to main content

Exile and Worry

Almost two weeks ago, the big storm hit here.  Technically, I don't think it was a hurricane by the time it was here, but there were definitely winds enough count as one.

We hunkered in, knowing this particular storm would be short.  It didn't look like it would be too harsh, breaking land well before getting to us, and hopefully dispersing into a less violent event.

And by about noon that day, we were out of power.  I told everyone when the lights started heavily flickering, so they would hopefully understand that I may go silent soon after.  When the power went, the cell towers also became unreliable at best.  By that evening my parents could barely get calls to my siblings so we could all check on each other.

Because of this, I was unable to actually get a hold of people to let them know I was ok.  Up to the first night, I didn't feel too badly.  Upon waking up the next day, still with no power to be found, I started feeling worse.  At that point it was a good while of people worrying about me, and my being unable to tell them that I'm safe, but we were still waiting on power.

It was a strange feeling as I went about the day.  Trying to handle everything at home, keep myself as occupied as I could while unable to take on a handful of the projects I had intended to do that day.  At the same time, disappointed that I couldn't reach the people I cared about, and who cared about me, to tell them that I was alright.

Twenty-four hours came and went.  We started worrying about the freezers and fridges, and finally decided to pick up a generator from my brother. 

And of course, we picked it up, and as we started getting it ready to plug in, and looking through the fridges to what had lost it's chill, the power came back on.  Sometimes the world knows what it's doing, and isn't subtle about it.

As soon as the internet returned, I was accosted with a myriad of messages, all from the expected people, wanting to make sure I was safe.  I contacted all of them.  Let them know we had power again, and the convenient timing therein, so they could have that peace of mind while we also ran about closing windows and getting to turn on the glorious sin of air conditioning.

The catch up took a good while afterward, but at least I had the peace of mind that the people I cared about finally knew I was ok.

Comments